Carrying Out Phytosanitary Service
Plant Quarantine and Phytosanitary Service is the unit which has been mandated to provide services that prevent the introduction of pests and diseases into the country and facilitate local regional and international trade through provisions provided for under Cap 233 and 231 of the Laws of Zambia.
Preventing the Introduction of Pests and Diseases
The PQPS directs its strengths to prevent or retard new pests and diseases being imported or exported through the enforcement several procedures to check and direct the movement of seeds, plant parts and plant materials. This will encompass the non authentic export of perishables as will as the entrance of soil, and any plant parts, especially seed, seedling and cuttings meant for planting.
- To assist enforcing regulation enshrine in Government Plant Regulation for the development of Integrated Pest Management strategies, prevent the introduction of injurious organisms and the spread of Plant Pests and Diseases.
- To monitor and regulate the quality of parent materials, seedlings and export crop planting by maintaining a database on sanitary levels of nurseries and farm planting in the country.
- To comply with international regulations in the movement of seeds and plant materials on the international market and their freedom from injurious plant pests.
- To monitor, regulate and guide traders on sanitary requirements of plant materials through identification of plant pests and diseases of quarantine importance.
- To maintain regular inspection on nurseries and farm plants especially those in export on sanitary conditions of such materials. To offer a service on seed quality confirming with international regulations on the important.
- Advise farmers on grain and seed fumigation and storage.
- Oversee the introduction of beneficial insects and pathogens, and ensure that activities are specific.
- Keep pace with current research development in bio-control and toxic chemicals that could be harmful to humans and livestock.
- Maintain cotton and tobacco standards by inspecting cotton and tobacco fields and sheds. To issue tobacco premises license in accordance with the Law.